Welcome to Social Mobility Business Partnership
SMBP is a volunteer led charity which brings together over 150 professional services firms, commercial organisations and professional sports teams committed to supporting students from low income backgrounds in their pursuit of a career, in particular, as a legal or finance professional. Programmes are run to currently include students from Belfast, Birmingham, Blackpool, Bradford, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Dorset, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Manchester, Norwich, Oldham, Rugby, Reading, South Cambridgeshire and South Yorkshire.
SMBP works to:
- break down psychological ‘fitting in’ barriers students may experience when entering the world of business by providing them with an opportunity to experience different working environments and meet the professionals within them;
- develop students’ commercial awareness and skills in the following areas: interviewing, team working, relationship building, presenting, influencing, resilience, goal planning and negotiation;
- arm students with multiple corporate brand names to create stand out Personal Statements and CVs;
- provide engaging business game focussed work insight experiences to create anecdotes to enable students to confidently answer competency questions asked during university and job interviews; and
- assist students with each step of their career journey through online virtual Group Mentoring on Personal Statement/CV creation, completion of application forms and interview preparation.
The programme starts with an induction where students learn about pathways to the professions from our supporting regulatory partners, the future impact of AI on the delivery of professional services and the facts about university finance.
The students participate in a week-long work insight and skills experience in which they are given the opportunity to spend a day at four different businesses; in addition, they attend a day run by a professional sports club to learn about the psychology of resilience and goal achievement models.
Finally, students have access to online ‘virtual Group Mentoring’ from legal, accountancy and business professionals. Our coaches are on hand to help with creating Personal Statements/CVs, compiling application forms and preparing for interviews.
A SMBP ‘Student Journey on a Page’ can be accessed by clicking here.