Your information is very important to us and we look after your information carefully in line with data protection and privacy laws. We’ve set out below more detail on those laws and on what information we collect about you and how we use that information.
The rights of individuals are protected by the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “DPA”) up to and including 24 May 2018, and from 25 May 2018 by the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation EU) 2016/679) (the “GDPR”). These impose restrictions and controls over the way that SMBP collects and uses personal data.
What is personal data?
“Personal data” is information relating to a living individual where the individual can be identified from the data, or the individual can be identified from that data combined with other information held by us (or likely to come into our possession).
This might include a name, address, telephone number, email address or photograph. It could also include identifiers such as an identification number
What is sensitive personal data?
“Sensitive personal data” is data which includes more sensitive/personal information about an individual.
This might include information relating to an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, political beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, religion, or criminal offences.
What services does this policy cover?
Our services include (without limitation) virtual coaching services, provision of information about the Social Mobility Business Partnership, provision of the Social Mobility Business Partnership work experience week, audio visual content, text, photographs, advertising and other services which we may offer at or via the website at www.smbp.org.uk (the “Services”). This policy covers all of the Services and any reference to “you” or “your”, means you as user of our Services. This policy applies to the collection and use of your information by us and parties that we authorise (such as our suppliers and sub-contractors).
What information do we collect?
What information we collect about you depends which of our Services you are using. The information that we may collect includes:
- your name, address, postcode, email address, date of birth, gender and/or ethnicity;
- information about your use of our Services including details of the content you viewed on our website, how long you stayed and on which pages, and your navigation around the website;
- your written conversations with virtual coaches via the virtual coaching facility on our website, for safeguarding and monitoring purposes;
The DPA and the GDPR give you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with those acts. Any access request may be subject to a small fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
When and how do we collect information?
We (or our authorised third parties) may collect information about you:
- when you register for Services, including (without limitation) when you complete a written form stating that you would like further information about our services, when you register on our website and / or when you request support from a virtual coach via our website;
- when you contact us with an enquiry or other feedback;
- in monitoring your use of the Services including (without limitation) communications sent by you via the Services;
- when you disclose your personal information to us or otherwise through the Services at any other point;
- from third party suppliers who have confirmed to us that they are authorised to pass your information to us in accordance with your legal rights.
Cookies and similar devices
How will you use my information?
Your information may be used by us and our authorised third parties to:
- assist in and administer the provision of Services to you;
- monitor, develop and improve the Services and/or your experience;
- process and deal with any complaints or enquiries made by or about you;
- contact you with service messages.
Will I be sent marketing messages?
Generally, we will only send you information about our Services if you indicate that you wish to receive such messages (e.g. by “opting-in” by ticking a tick box). Where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so, we may send you information by email, telephone (including SMS and MMS), mail or other methods of communication.
To stop receiving marketing communications from us, you can use the ‘unsubscribe’, ‘stop’ or similar facility contained in any such communication or you can email us at the email address set out in “Contact us” below, stating that you do not wish to receive further communications from us.
Do you share my information?
We may pass information about you to other parties as follows:
- to third parties authorised by us and acting on our behalf such as our employees, contractors, suppliers and/or agents including without limitation our customer care teams to administer the Services provided to you by us now or in the future;
- where we have your consent to do so, for marketing communications (see section on “Marketing Communications” above);
- as part of general statistical information about the Services’ user base, traffic volumes and related matters. These details will not include information personally identifying you;
Please note this policy does not cover companies, services or applications that we do not own or control, or people that we do not employ or manage, including (without limitation) third party websites or applications/widgets (e.g. from “social media” platforms such as Facebook or Twitter) which we link to or offer via our Services, nor does it cover advertisers.
Also, it does not cover certain pages and services provided via our Services which are hosted, managed and operated by other parties. These services, applications and third parties may have their own privacy policies and/or terms and conditions of use, which we recommend you read before using any such services. These third parties and services are wholly independent of us and are solely responsible for all aspects of their relationship with you and any use you may make of such services.
Are my details safe?
We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information. Where reasonably possible we use industry-standard technology to allow for the encryption of sensitive information.
Please always think carefully before disclosing information to other users or otherwise making your information publicly available. It is important that you are aware that any information you disclose to another user may then be disclosed by that user. We have no responsibility or control over the contents of communications made between users of our Services.
How can I change my details?
Where you register your details for certain Services and open a user account with us, you can then use that to access and log on to use those Services. You may change or update some of your details at any time via your account. If you are not registered for these Services but wish to update your details then please contact us (see “Contact Us” section below). You should please make sure that you update your details as soon as possible with all relevant changes.